Friday, March 23, 2007

Made for each other!

I was reading Betty Miller's daily devotional at Bible.com's online Bible site today, and she had made a very straightforward bold assertion:

"God created us, first of all, to need Him and then, to need each other."

There's something remarkable about this statement. Common social thinking says that "Man is a social animal" and "No man is an island", and it is true - but even more relevant to us as Christians.

I have always contended that one of the principal differences between Christianity and other faiths is that ours is intrinsically based on community. It is not enough for me to be reading my Bible, praying on my own, "working out my own salvation", building up myself in spiritual maturity...

For instance, why do we go to church at all? Does it serve the same purpose as going to a mosque or a temple - in the sense of fulfiling some commitment to God or performing a weekly rite or paying your tithe? Is it to simply to hear the sermon or enjoy the praise and worship? I don't think so. I think it is about coming together as people of God. Getting to know each other. Sharing in a common spirit. Building relationships. That's why we distinguish between personal worship and corporate worship in the first place.

There's a reason why the Bible says (the reference eludes me now) that

"one can put a thousand to flight, but two can take on ten thousand."

THAT is the power of community! Our strength multiplies enormously when we stand together, work together, support each other! What I cannot do on my own is easily possible when I have with me another child of God.

Needing each other involves both giving and receiving. We all know that it is better to give than to receive. It is one of the axioms of our faith. The rest of the world tends to hinge on receiving, receiving, receiving - everyone out for himself, survival of the fittest and all that jazz. Put anyone at a point of decision, and his first thoughts are likely to be: "What am I going to get out of this?" Christians too may fall into that trap - going to Church to receive a good sermon, to enjoy the terrific music. The truth is that this undermines the real value of Church - when we are meant to give into each others' lives! When I participate in praise and worship, am I bringing a spirit and passion for God that will bless those around me? What about those who are coming to Church for the first time - do I have a heart that can bless them, can I meet with them after the service and help them feel at home? What about those who come to Church with troubles on their mind - can I sense their burden, speak to them, win their trust, help them out?

But of course, there's the other side to this. Christians often get so taken in by this whole giving thing that they forget to receive. Serious problem here. If a person's attitude to anyone he sees is "What can I give to him?", there would never be any receiving, and no real way of learning from others or growing with their help. What does this indicate? - Over-confidence? Pride? May not be that strong, but there would seriously be something missing.

Youth camp last year taught me that three forms of relationships are essential to everyone: to have a Paul (a mentor, from whom you can receive teaching, guidance and correction), a Barnabas (a peer with whom you can connect and share) and a Timothy (a disciple, someone who looks up to you, to whom you can yourself be a mentor). And, of course, we need God to be the center of all of this.

We need these relationships, we need these people, we need God. They fill up places in us that are just emptiness when we try to stand on our own.

No comments: